tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Authenticating Users
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:06:32 GMT
Alan Chaney wrote:
> We have a site which has users log in to create/edit account
> information. Nothing unusual there. Currently this is implemented with a
> JDBCRealm and it all works OK.

I'd base your solution on the DataSourceRealm. JDBCRealm is very heavily
synchronised .

> So far, I can see the following options:
>
> 1. Implement a filter that ...
>
> 2. Implement some java script ...
>
> 3. Implement my own Realm ...
>
> 4. Possibly do something similar to 3 but with a JAAS.

5. Patch DataSourceRealm (should just be a couple of changes to make the
checks case insensitive) and deploy your patched version to each of your
Tomcat instances. To do this you'd put your DataSourceRealm.class file
in CATALINA_HOME/lib/org/apache/catalina/realm

6. Make case sensitivity configurable and contribute your patch back to
the ASF. Providing it is database neutral, there is a good chance it
will be accepted for Tomcat 7 and maybe back-ported to Tomcat 6.

Mark