tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sam Hokin <...@ims.net>
Subject Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request after restart
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:28:17 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> jstack.8.txt is the last thread dump where File.exists was stalled.
>
>> http://ims.net/jstack/jstack.9.txt
>> http://ims.net/jstack/jstack.10.txt
>> http://ims.net/jstack/jstack.11.txt
>
> The server appears to be idle, here.
>
> It's a little weird that thread 9770 has NO STACK INFO AT ALL.
>
>> http://ims.net/jstack/jstack.12.txt
>> http://ims.net/jstack/jstack.13.txt
>
> Also idle.

Yeah, I _thought_ it was still stalled on 9-11, but it looks like I misjudged the timing by
a bit.  I was flipping back
and forth between virtual windows, hitting jstack while checking if my browser had the response
from the server.

> Obviously, the File.exists method shouldn't be taking that long... it's
> a pretty simple operation. Are you using an NFS or other network share?
> Does your disk have any physical problems? Is this machine running next
> to any equipment that generates a lot of stray alpha particles? :)

Not that I know of. :) We now know it's hanging on java.io.File.exists(), though, so I suppose
that's leading us
somewhere.  It's a logical RAID array on four physical disks.  I've run fsck on it (when this
all first happened) and
it's fine.  And this problem persists no matter where the classes are on the disk; whether
they're in a JAR file
anywhere, or split out under WEB-INF/classes.  I don't think it can be a disk issue.  I guess
I could write a standalone
Java routine to play with the File.exists() method and see if I can reproduce the delay "manually"....