tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sam Hokin <...@ims.net>
Subject Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request after restart
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:15:36 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Sam,
>
> On 2/19/2009 6:23 PM, Sam Hokin wrote:
>> The problem, which spontaneously appeared a few days before Christmas on
>> this one server, is that the initial request of a JSP or servlet takes
>> AGES to respond, usually exceeding several minutes.
>
> Good... then you'll have plenty of time to /take a thread dump/ while
> it's spinning its wheels.

Well, I have used a number of diagnostics, like jconsole, jstat and jhat, but haven't been
able to glean anything
informative from them about my issue.  I've run the -Xloggc JVM option, and watched it garbage
collect, again not
informing me of anything.  Yes, if I could figure out what the JVM is actually DOING doing
the long wait, I'd hopefully
be able to deal with it, but I honestly haven't been able to figure out how to do that.  What
do you suggest?

> I'll cast my hat into the ring: I suspect you're loading a resource that
> wants to looking an external resource (like an XML file with a remote
> DTD/Schema and validation is on in the parser) and the DNS is tripping
> you up.

No, there are no external references in my Java package.  It's all just local class files.