tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: [OT] of the different methods to get a user-id
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:34:09 GMT
Chris,

I offer my opinions here as a real "grey beard" (literally). I certainly
agree with you that people should have
a breath of skills allowing them to use the right tool at the right time.

However, notwithstanding the fact that the other day I worked out that I
have actually used about 15 different programming languages in anger
(that is, part of code used by other people) I have to admit that my
occasional brush with Perl has been unrewarding (for both me and the
language...)

My biggest problem is that I've never seen a little bit of typing as a
big issue, but reading and trying to understand something a few
weeks/months/years later is always fraught with difficulties. The main
problem with perl is that I can never remember exactly what #@!$% means
whereas something like getUserPrincipal() works for me!

Regards

Alan Chaney