tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Fastest method to serve dynamic java content
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:32:11 GMT
keenny wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently working on a system that must be able to serve thousands of
> requests per sec. The requests/responses contains only small amounts of data
> (ajax XMLHTTPRequests) and are not long lived (connection keep). I'm using
> java to generate the responses. Static content are served separately (by
> lighttpd). I was just wondering if anybody has any opinions as to how this
> can be done most effectively (highest throughput, low cpu consumption etc).
> Some alternatives being:
>
> lighttpd -> mod_proxy -> tomcat -> application code
> lighttpd -> fastcgi -> application code
> tomcat -> application code
> asyncweb/mina -> application code

I would think that a key factor not mentioned above is : once your java
application gets the actual request, how long does it take it to
generate the response (however small the response actually is) ?

To be more explicit : you mention thousands of requests per second.  To
server these, if generating each response takes 1 second, you would need
thousands of processes in order just to keep up.
There is also a question of bandwidth of course, even for small amounts
of data, thousands of requests amount to quite a bit, so to speak.