tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:39:38 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
[...]
>> I'm not privy to the thought processes behind the packaging of the .exe and .zip
downloads, but I don't like it, whatever it was.  I think all bits and pieces should be in
all the packages.  The .exe installer could be made smart enough to detect the platform and
JVM it's running on, and choose the 32- or 64-bit service wrapper as appropriate.  The service.bat
script would probably have to use a command line option to select 32- or 64-bit, but that's
way better than the current state of affairs.

> Patches are always welcome ;)

One would have to find things first in order to patch them. ;-)

Seriously, on the same principle as eating an elephant but tiny bits at
a time, is there something that militates against adding the various
tomcat.exe and tomcatw.exe to the zip distribution ?
I'm willing to write a HowTo for Windows in the FAQ, but having in
addition to direct people to these external links seems a bit
extra-confusing.