tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:25:12 GMT
So apparently, I did end up make it more complicated than it is.

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Hello
>>
>> Vista 32-bit -> 32-bit Java JDK or JRE
>> Vista 64-bit -> 64-bit Java JDK or JRE
>
> Not necessarily true.  I run both 32- and 64-bit versions of the JVM on my Vista 64 box,
because some browsers only come in 32-bit versions and therefore need the 32-bit plugin to
run applets.
Allright, good to know.

>> For a 64-bit Vista, we first tried the Service Installer. It installed
>> properly, but we could not get it to run.
>
> That depends on the JRE/JDK installed.
   To use the tomcat6.exe program that's included with the .zip and .exe
downloads,
  you must associate it with a 32-bit JVM - even on a 64-bit platform.
I understand that, but how would a newbie understand this ?

>> So we removed the 64-bit Service Installer
>
> There is no 64-bit service installer.
Sorry, typo. Should have been "the Service Installer", tout court.

>> To make it work, we had to download 2 additional files
>> (tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe), rename them respectively
>> to tomcat6.exe and tomcat6w.exe, and (I think) rerun the
>> service.bat script.
>
> What you downloaded was the 64-bit versions, necessary to run Tomcat as a service
  with a 64-bit JVM.
Same remark as the newbie one above.

It should not be necessary to rerun the service.bat script.
Ok, just wasn't sure.

>> We downloaded them from here :
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/
>> Oh, and there are 2 versions of each of the above files, depending on
>> whether your CPU is an Intel-64 or an AMD-64.
>
> Not correct.  Use the AMD64 version, which applies to current 64-bit chips from both
AMD and Intel; the IA64 version is for an older Intel 64-bit architecture which has pretty
much been killed off (just not soon enough for those of us that had to use it).

I didn't know that. But who (other than an expert) would know that,
looking at those links alone ?

I believe that this definitely needs at least a HowTo on the Tomcat
site.  I'll get to it.
Unfortunately, I think that the current structure of the downloadable
versions does not make this really easy to explain.
I posted another message a couple of days ago that asked why these
64-bit versions of tomcat.exe and tomcatw.exe were not just included in
the zip version.  Any idea of the reason ?