tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Win32/64 versions of Tomcat
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:57:08 GMT
Hi.

This is not a critic/complaint, more of a question/suggestion to whoever
is in charge of this.

Is there a particular reason why the Tomcat 5/6 Windows version does
come in two separate packages (a zip and a service installer) ?
Since they are destined both for Windows, could not both be packaged in
the same thing, such as a zip file that would include the service
installer, but also all the pieces which (in the current zip) go into
the Tomcat/bin directory ?

Similarly, could such a single package not also include the various
versions of tomcat.exe and tomcatw.exe needed on various platforms to
run it properly ?
Such as :
tomcat.intel32.exe
tomcatw.intel32.exe
tomcat.intel64.exe
tomcatw.intel64.exe
tomcat.amd32.exe
tomcatw.amd32.exe
tomcat.amd64.exe
tomcatw.amd64.exe

It seems that questions about the above are frequent and that there is a
certain amount of confusion about the various bits and pieces.  I
believe the above would help reduce both.

I am willing to write a HowTo in the FAQ to explain the current
situation, but for instance it seems a bit awkward to have to provide
links to download separately the 64-bit versions of the tomcat.exe and
tomcatw.exe.

Thanks.
André