tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HelloWorld and NoClassDefFoundError
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:12:17 GMT
Bart Vandewoestyne wrote:
[...]
> Actually, yes, I would like to use the Debian package.  I like
> the ease of installing/upgrading/removing packages with apt-get.

Hi.
Just to reassure you : I have a series of Linux Debian systems with
Tomcat 4.1, 5.0 and 5.5, all installed via apt-get, and I don't think
the installation is broken per se. They all work fine.
Just make sure the JVM is a Sun one, not the gcj, and that it is
installed and made the default "alternative" *before* you install the
Tomcat packages.

At another level however Chuck is right, in that it is very difficult
for Tomcat experts to help when there is a problem with the packages
distributed with the various Linux distributions, because each one has
it's own file layout, with links all over the place to all over the
place, so compared to a standard Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org it is
difficult to figure out where the files should be.