tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: mod_jk
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2009 12:01:48 GMT
Mohit Anchlia wrote:
> Sorry I am little confused about couple of things:
>
> 1. Based on what I read it looks like workers.properties is not loaded
> dynamically. And JkMountFileReload doesn't work for worker.properties
> but it works for uriworkermap.properties.
Correct, that is what was said.
In clear it means that you can to a certain extent dynamically change
the URI's that will be redirected to Tomcat, but you cannot change the
kind of properties that are in workers.properties (the address of the
back-end Tomcats etc..)

> 2. Wouldn't setting prepost timeout ensure that a check is made to see
> if remote machine is up before forwarding the request?
Yes.
But if you have only one Tomcat to send requests to, then all this tells
you is that this Tomcat is not responding.  So now what do you do ?

I'll use an image : finding out that the back-end Tomcat does not even
respond to a ping, rather than sending the whole request and getting an
error then (which is more time-consuming), is a way to know faster that
there is a problem.  But you still have this hot client request in your
lap, so now what do you do with it ?
If you have 2 or more Tomcats, then it really helps, because mod_jk can
redirect the request to a Tomcat which still works.  But if there is
only one anyway, you're cooked.