tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: And how about this mod_jk.log ?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:36:58 GMT
Chris,

> I'd just like to point out that there are two existing tools that may
> have helped you our a lot: wget (often installed be default on many
> Linuxes these days) and httping (which is not, but freely available and
> has a simple "make" compile strategy).

I thought about those, but did not use wget, ab, curl etc.. because
- the problem happened on users Windows workstations, and I wanted to
test from there. Neither of the above are standard under Windows, some
may be hard to find in Win32 binary version.
- neither wget or these other tools, I believe, allow by themselves to
run the test on a series of URLs, in a loop, with a variable time-out
- I wasn't sure of the level of debugging information I'd get when there
was a connection drop, without at the same time getting a lot of verbose
stuff when no error was found
- the Windows "shell" under which I would have had to do something in
order to wrap any of the above to do what I wanted is not exactly my
preferred programming environment
- on the other hand, perl was already installed on the workstation and
for things like that it is really great

And let anyone who hasn't ever re-invented a personal version of the
wheel throw me the first stone.