tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Problem with mod_jk and Tomcat Native Connectors on Solaris
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 16:37:59 GMT
On 02.02.2009 20:01, Jorge Medina wrote:
>    I am having problems with the mod_jk module 1.2.26 and Tomcat Native
> connectors running in Solaris 10.
>    The problem occurs in both processors x86 (64-bit) and sparc (64-bit).
> (The problem does not occur on RedHat EL5 64-bit).
>
>    On the mod_jk workers.properties file I am specifying a value for
> reply_timeout:
>
>      worker.localworker.reply_timeout=10000    (10 seconds)
>
>    I am anticipating that some requests would need more time, so I
> decided to run my test suite just increasing the value to 30000.
>    Oddly, with this value and running the same set of tests I get
> sporadic errors. The mod_jk log shows the following message when this
> occurs:
>
>     [error] ajp_get_reply::jk_ajp_common.c (1730) : (localworker) Timeout
> with waiting reply from tomcat. Tomcat is down, stopped or nertwork
> problems (errno=145)
>

>     I am using the following components:
>          Apache Web Server 2.2.11
>                  APR 1.3.3
>                  APR-util 1.3.4
>                  openssl-0.9.8
>                  mod_jk    1.2.26

Before debugging a problem you might consider switching to 1.2.27,
because once everything works, you'll most likely not do the upgrade ;)

>          Tomcat 6.0.16
>                  Tomcat Native Connectors 1.1.12 (using same APR version
> as Apache)

Please update to 1.1.16. There have been a couple of fixes in tcnative.

>                  jsvc
>                  Sun Java JDK 1.6
>
>      I also found that the problem only occurs if the Tomcat Native
> Connectors is enabled in Tomcat.
>
>      I can't figure why increasing the reply timeout would actually
> produce the errors it is supposed to prevent!!

I don't really understand: why do you think the timeout produces the
problem? Setting the timeout means, that any reply taking longer than
the timeout will be interrupted inside Apache and logged. So setting no
timeout will not produce any log statements (by default the timeout is
off), but I expect that you will still have long running requests.

To find out about the response times and the requests with long response
times, add "%D" to your Apache LogFormat (response times in
microseconds) and activate an access log in tomcat too, with a pattern
that also contains "%D" 8response times in milliseconds). That way you
can control during your tests, what tomcat resp. Apache think the
response time actually was.

After verifying that Tomcat actually needs to long for some requests,
you need to start to analse why (locking in application, waiting for
backend or database, etc.). You can use Java thread dumps for this (kill
-QUIT).

>      Any help is appreciated. I would like to benefit from the Tomcat
> Native Connectors, but I can't figure what I am configuring wrong.

Try 1.1.16.

>      -----------------------------------------------
>      Below is my workers.properties ...
>      -----------------------------------------------
>
> worker.list= wlb, jkwatch, jkmanage
> # Properties for worker: localworker
> worker.localworker.type=ajp13
> worker.localworker.host=localhost
> worker.localworker.port=8009
> worker.localworker.lbfactor=1
> worker.localworker.connection_pool_timeout=600
> worker.localworker.socket_keepalive=True
> worker.localworker.socket_timeout=60
> ################### this parameter causes trouble if increased to 30000
> worker.localworker.reply_timeout=10000
>
> # Defining a load balancer (with a single worker, the local worker)
> worker.wlb.type=lb
> worker.wlb.balance_workers=localworker
> worker.wlb.max_reply_timeouts=3

I would add cping/cpong. See