tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: WEB-INF/classes vs WEB-INF/lib/classes.jar file
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:36:28 GMT

epicwinter@hotmail.com wrote:
> Is there any advantage why I should not just jar all my class files and put them in WEB-INF/lib
rather than exploding the jar file to the classes directory?

> I like developing with the classes and I understand it is nice to let tomcat deploy a
.war file but it also creates some problems for me because i deploy to multiple production
servers with different settings that get overwritten every time my war file is expanded.

Functionally I don't think there is a difference between jars and classes.

>From a management prospective however, the jar solution implies that
collection of classes has a separate development life cycle from the
webapp.  If you fix some problem in the classes, just rebuild and
distribute the jar file.  Provided you didn't make a breaking change,
customers should just be able to drop in the updated jar and restart the
webapp.  A collection of classes splayed out in the classes folder
creates a more challenging update scenario.

In the case you describe above, the jar solution makes it easy to update
a number of webapps with different configs.

--David