tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mikolaj Rydzewski <m...@ceti.pl>
Subject Re: WEB-INF/classes vs WEB-INF/lib/classes.jar file
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:38:51 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> if I have a webapp consistig of just a couple of classes and a
> WEB-INF/web.xml config file, but this web.xml file contains some
> parameters that are "each-client-dependent", and some customers are
> insisting to receive the updates as a war file, how can I achieve that ?
>
> Someone earlier here mentioned that you could put the settings in a
> file outside the application, but that is not possible in this case,
> or is it ?
You can have web.xml parameter, e.g.

<context-param>
    <param-name>config-file-location</param-name>
    <param-value>/filesystem/path or URL or
some-other-location</param-value>
</context-param>

And then you can retrieve parameter value, thus, read config file.
Idea is, that param-value is the same for every client/build. E.g.
points to configuration file in $CATALINA_HOME/conf. So you can have one
war file and client dependant configurations.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>