tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mikolaj Rydzewski <m...@ceti.pl>
Subject Re: WEB-INF/classes vs WEB-INF/lib/classes.jar file
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:17:46 GMT
epicwinter@hotmail.com wrote:
> Is there any advantage why I should not just jar all my class files and put them in WEB-INF/lib
rather than exploding the jar file to the classes directory?

> I like developing with the classes and I understand it is nice to let tomcat deploy a
.war file but it also creates some problems for me because i deploy to multiple production
servers with different settings that get overwritten every time my war file is expanded.

Use ant/maven and build preconfigured war files. It's much, much easier
to distribute/deploy single war file instead of expanded directory (not
to mention single .class files for updates).

You can keep site-specific configuration files outside of
webapplication, so they will not get overwritten with deploys.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>