tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] [Tomcat] [daemon] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError unable to create new native thread
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:21:04 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> What about forwarding X through the tunnel instead?
>>>
>> You can't, because it is variable. It is the result of some internal
>> "negotiation" between Jconsole and the remote JVM.
>> Apparently, anyway. I haven't managed to make it work so far.
>
> To expand Chris' suggestion: What about forwarding the X11 protocol through the tunnel
instead, such that you can run Jconsole on the same machine as the JVM?  X11 has a fixed port
number, and ssh has support for this.  I've used this trick when needing to do something graphical
on a box with ssh-only access; works a treat.

Sorry to be so obtuse. "X" is not something I use regularly, so when
Chris mentioned X, I thought he was talking about the secondary
connection/port that the JVM/Jconsole agree on, not about X-terminal and so.

So thanks for the tip, but could you expand even more ?
I realise this isn't really a Tomcat matter, but maybe this can help
someone else in a similar situation.

At which level would X11 kick in ?

Layout is as follows :

Office A :
workstation (me) --> firewall/router -> internet modem --> internet
Office B :
internet -> internet modem -> firewall/router -> Tomcat host

There is no VPN setup between A and B.

My workstation is a Windows laptop. I don't presently have an X emulator
on it. It has Java JDK 6, an SSH terminal-like program (putty), WinSCP,
etc..  I'd rather avoid installing Cygwin on the laptop, because it
interferes with other Unix-like things I have on it.

The Tomcat host has a fixed internal IP address.
I could also fix the internal IP address of my workstation.
I have full control of the routers/firewalls/hosts.
The firewall/router at B automatically tunnels ports 22,80,8080 and some
others to the Tomcat host. I can add more tunnels.
I can also build on-demand tunnels from outside to any inside host/port
via the firewall and SSH.  Doing something in the other direction is
more tricky , because both Office A and B have variable internet IP
addresses which change once per 24h (both with dynamic DNS though).

I'm usually at A. B is my "home office", and when my laptop is there, I
have no problem running JConsole on it and connecting to the Tomcat
host, because both are then on the same LAN. But I haven't managed that
yet from A.

?