tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rusty Wright <rusty.wri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: running tomcat with root user
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 05:58:11 GMT
Are you sure about the group write permissions?  I glanced at the jailkit web page and it looks
like it's sugar coating and chrome around a chroot.  So I would think that using unix groups
would work.  And on the flip side, if unix groups don't work, it seems to me that ACLs wouldn't
either.

epicwinter@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have the latest tomcat 6 installed under centos 5.2.  The problem I am having is that
it appears that I have to run tomcat as root user, because the spring app that tomcat starts
needs to write files to other users' home directories.  The tomcat user doesn't have access
to these directories.

> I tried making these users part of a shared group, but to complicate the problem the
users are jailed using jailkit.  So it doesn't appear that jailkit lets me add group write
privileges to the home directories and maintain a working jail.

> Can anyone suggest another alternative?  I am not linux user expert so maybe there is
an obvious solution i am missing?