tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Apache Tomcat 6.0 loads blank page
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 21:45:48 GMT
zia mohades wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Qiao thank you for your help. I tried copying the WEB-INF(which includes
> web.xml) to mms_test but the problem is still there( blank page). I tried
> copying the mms_test somewhere else like to ROOT, but the problem still
> remains.  Just to let you know I can successfull view the page
> http://localhost:8080/ but get a blank page when try to access the
> http://localhost:8080/mms_test/

And when you try that second link, and you get the blank page, is there
anything in your Tomcat logs ?

I mean, when you try to access http://localhost:8080/mms_test/, there
are only a limited number of possibilities :
- either your browser cannot reach the server.  Then you would get a
browser message saying "cannot reach the server". You don't get that, so
we assume the browser can reach Tomcat.
- or the browser reaches the server, and the server cannot find the
requested page (or application), or it cannot access it (permission
problem), or there is an error in the application.  Then you would get
an error page from Tomcat.  But you do not get that.
- so we have to assume that Tomcat finds "something", and is sending it
back to the browser.  That something seems to be an empty page.
But it certainly comes at least with some HTTP Headers from Tomcat.

If there is nothing in the Tomcat logs :
If you are using Firefox as a browser (recommended), get and install the
LiveHttpHeaders plugin. Here :
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/3829

That is a plugin that allows you to see the HTTP Headers that the
webserver is sending along with the response (the blank page).
(If IE, get a similar plugin (Fiddler2 ?).)
Anyway, activate the plugin (in Firefox, LiveHttpHeaders appears in the
Tools menu, just click on it. It opens its own window).
Then just go back to the main window, call up your mmtest link, and look
in the LiveHttpHeaders window, what exactly the server sent.