tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: jsvc problem with PID
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:33:47 GMT
Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2009/2/1 André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>:
>
>>> I.e. the PID isn't being written to /var/run/jsvc.pid
>>>
>>> Any suggestions please?
>>>

>> 10..9..8..7..
>> (just the countdown before someone else here tells you to go ask your
>> question in a Fedora forum)
>>
>> A word of explanation, before someone else puts it more rudely :
>> on this Tomcat users forum, most of the helpful people do not have all the
>> various platforms available, where Tomcat /can/ run.  So they tend to
>> concentrate on the "standard" version of Tomcat, as downloaded from the
>> "official" Tomcat site "tomcat.apache.org".
>
> I did. In preference to $yum install tomcat.
>
>> That standard Tomcat version does not start in the same way as the version
>> you are using.  For one, it does not, I believe, use the jsvc wrapper which
>> seems to be the source of your problem. jsvc is a separate package, not part
>> of Tomcat itself.
>
> I built in from the code in $CATALINA-HOME/bin/jsvc-src

Ha ! then I stand corrected, and sorry for my above rambling.
Ok then, maybe one of the helpful Tomcat experts here will be able to
help after all.  Not me, I'm afraid.

Maybe you *could* try the yum version then ?  that one is almost
guaranteed to start on your system. ;-)
10..9..8..  (countdown for me this time until someone here reacts to
that heretical suggestion)

Maybe a less heretical suggestion :
- install the yum package
- save it's /etc/init.d/tomcat6 startup script
- de-install the yum package
- restore the saved /etc/init.d/tomcat6 script and modify it according
to your "real tomcat" locations

Maybe at least you'll spot the differences.