tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: jsvc problem with PID
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:22:52 GMT
Dave Pawson wrote:
> Fedora 10, Tomcat 6
>
> Looking to set up a startup/shutdown script
> based on
> http://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/tomcat-initscript
> with paths corrected.
>
> Adding debug I'm seeing, in the logs
>
> INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/27  config=null
> Feb 1, 2009 7:18:44 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> INFO: Server startup in 929 ms
> 01/02/2009 07:23:58 5575 jsvc.exec error: Cannot open PID file
> /var/run/jsvc.pid, PID is 5575
> 01/02/2009 07:23:58 5574 jsvc.exec error: Service exit with a return
> value of 255
>
> I.e. the PID isn't being written to /var/run/jsvc.pid
>
> Any suggestions please?

10..9..8..7..
(just the countdown before someone else here tells you to go ask your
question in a Fedora forum)

A word of explanation, before someone else puts it more rudely :
on this Tomcat users forum, most of the helpful people do not have all
the various platforms available, where Tomcat /can/ run.  So they tend
to concentrate on the "standard" version of Tomcat, as downloaded from
the "official" Tomcat site "tomcat.apache.org".
That standard Tomcat version does not start in the same way as the
version you are using.  For one, it does not, I believe, use the jsvc
wrapper which seems to be the source of your problem. jsvc is a separate
package, not part of Tomcat itself.

The version you are using, is a pre-packaged version, from your Linux
flavor's packaging experts, who have created their own method to start
Tomcat, using their own scripts etc, and jsvc.  They have probably very
good reasons to do that, and that is not the point.  The point is that
people here do not generally know what happens in one of these
platform-specific versions.

In other words, basically, you would have more chances of being helped
by asking the Fedora people for help.