tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kirk True <>
Subject Re: Location of properties file for web app in Tomcat
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 06:06:58 GMT
Hi all,

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Flavius []
>> Subject: Location of properties file for web app in Tomcat
>> 1. Where is the best place to put the properties file
>> if I want it located outside the war itself?
> I don't think there's a "best place" that would be applicable to all environments.  One
mechanism that is known to work is to have the admin specify a system property at Tomcat startup
indicating where the property file is located; the webapp looks at the system property during
initialization and reads its properties from the specified location.  The name of the system
property can be whatever you choose, and could even include the context path of the webapp
to allow multiple instances to be deployed in one container.

I had the same issue as the OP and the best I could come up with was to
change to include a system property that was then read by
the web app. But we did fall into the same problem of multiple instances
and we just made the system property that pointed to the file more