tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Anthony J. Biacco" <abia...@formatdynamics.com>
Subject RE: "remember me" authentication?
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:12:57 GMT
Doesn't seem too hard to do cookies, googling it finds pages like http://www.roseindia.net/jsp/jspcookies.shtml
which can probably help you out.

-Tony
---------------------------
Manager, IT Operations
Format Dynamics, Inc.
303-573-1800x27
abiacco@formatdynamics.com
http://www.formatdynamics.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Charl Gerber [mailto:charlgerber@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:39 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: "remember me" authentication?

Hi everyone,

Does Tomcat provide default support in some way to implement a 'remember me' feature for form
based authentication? This should not be dependent on a user's browser remembering the username/password,
but by a checkbox you can check/clear on the logon jsp.

If so, where do I find it? If not, how can I implement it? My guess is that I store the user
credentials in a cookie, but how do I get every jsp/servlet in my application that requires
authentication to automatically retrieve this and skip authentication? Sounds like a lot of
overhead, unless Tomcat can take care of it.

Plan B, less desired, could be for the cookie to be read only in the logon (via javascript)
jsp and automatically fill the credentials. So the user only have to type 'Submit' to logon.
Not auto logon, but at least saves some typing. Pretty much the same as the browser would
have done it, except your app now has control.

Thanks!

Charl