tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "B.V. Prasad" <hi...@yahoo.com>
Subject jsvc degrades performance in production
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:31:45 GMT
I am running Tomcat 6 on a group of Linux servers behind a loadbalancer. This setup was working
fine when I ran Tomcat as root. However, when I moved to jsvc, the production servers started
to become unavailable within a couple of hours, serving thousands of requests. I had to restart
them to be online again, only to get into the same issue in a couple of hours. When switched
back to run as root, things were fine again. I could find no errors in any logs.

I found that jsvc uses client JVM (the servers are server-class VMWare servers) by default.
I am suspecting when I ran as root (startup.sh), Tomcat used server JVM that gave better performance,
while jsvc performed worse with client JVM, causing my maxThreads (150) to exhaust, acceptCount
(100) to fill up and making tomcat to deny requests. I am guessing if I make jsvc to use server
JVM, my problem will go away. I appreciate if someone can validate this theory or offer other
clues before I try this in production. Of course, I shall also try a stress test case.

Thanks,
BV Prasad