tomcat-users mailing list archives

From nlif <naam...@plimus.com>
Subject No URL rewriting when cookies are disabled
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:50:11 GMT

Hi all,

I am using Tomcat 6.0.18, with Firefox 3.0.6.
I have a simple servlet, which calls request.getSession(true), and expects
to create a session only on the first request, and resume an existing
session on all subsequent requests. As far as I know, according to the
servlet-spec, servlet containers (e.g. Tomcat), should automatically
fallback to URL rewriting (i.e. adding the jsessionid parameter to the url)
when the browser refuses to accept cookies.

This works fine with cookies enabled, however, as soon as I disable cookies
in my browser, a new session is created for each request, and the jsessionid
is not appended to the URL.

Shouldn't this work by default?
(I know I can modify the application code to handle this, but I assumed this
is not necessary.)

Thanks,
Naaman