tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edoardo Panfili <edoa...@aspix.it>
Subject Re: How to close open connections after application stop?
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:42:34 GMT
Alan Chaney ha scritto:
> Edoardo wrote
>> I have
>>   resultset.close();
>>   statement.close();
>>   connection.close();
>> in my code.
>>
>> and
>>   connection = dataSource.getConnection();
>> seems very close to my
>>   ambiente = (Context) new InitialContext().lookup("java:comp/env");
>>   pool = (DataSource) ambiente.lookup("jdbc/myApp);
>>   Connection conn = pool.getConnection();
>> there are a lot of debug information in my code and seems that nothing
>> is going wrong (no exceptions).
>>
>> but... if you post that it means that I am doing something wrong.
>>
>> Edoardo
> I don't think so. Let me recap your problem:
>
> When you undeploy an application from tomcat (using the DBCP pooling
> mechanism) you can't make STRUCTURAL changes to the database because it
> complains that connections are still in use.
Yes.

> This is exactly what one would expect. I've encountered the same
> problem. When an application finishes with a database connection it is
> returned to the pool. That's exactly what a connection pool is for!
>
> As far as I can see by looking at the tomcat source code the connection
> pool is created at startup and remains active until TC shutdown. Once a
> connection has been obtained from the pool it may stay 'active' for the
> entire duration of the TC session (that is, from TC start to TC stop)
>
> Obviously, depending upon your usage, it is possible for more than one
> application in the same container to be reusing the same connection
> pool. Your original post indicates that only one app. is using the
> database.
Yes.

> It seems to me that:
>
> 1. you could just shutdown tomcat! If this is a production site the best
> plan would be to write a script which renames the database and does
> whatever else you need, test it on a development machine and just find a
> 'quiet' time to shutdown the site, update the db and restart.
This way is usable (and is the easiest, i need less that 30sec). At the
present time is also usable (not very high traffic) but I'd like to find
a definitive solution.

> 2. Move the connection pool into your application. Thus shutting down
> the application would shutdown the pool.
:-) some times ago the pool was managed by my application with some
custom code, in the new version of the system I rely on tomcat (hope
that this choice is not so bad!)

> 3. As I assume you are using DBCP in Tomcat, carefully read the DBCP
> docs, configure your system so that you can directly access the POOLED
> connections, keep a list of ALL the connections you use and then shut
> them down at the end. This is fraught with difficulty.
Your assumption is right.
This seems non so easy, but I will try.

Thank you very much for your (and other users) help.

Edoardo