tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bart Vandewoestyne <Bart.Vandewoest...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: HelloWorld and NoClassDefFoundError
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:30:04 GMT
On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:49:06AM -0600, Caldarale, Charles R
wrote:

> Indicative of a broken Tomcat installation, which is pretty
> typical with these 3rd-party repackaged versions.  I strongly
> suggest you throw away that junk and install a real Tomcat from
> tomcat.apache.org; this mailing list is littered with problem
> reports from attempted use of non-standard Tomcat
> installations.  If you insist on using the package from Debian,
> you'll need to consult whatever Debian support mechanisms there
> are.

Actually, yes, I would like to use the Debian package.  I like
the ease of installing/upgrading/removing packages with apt-get.

While I was investigating the problem, I started to notice that
it 'magically went away' somehow... so I did the following test:

* Compile a class file and put it under WEB-INF/classes/
* restart tomcat
* check the URL -> i get the NoClassDefFound error (for HttpServlet)
  that i described earlier.

-> now I wait for about 10 to 20 minutes

* I restart tomcat
* I refresh the webpage in my browser... and now magically it
  works!

What I conclude from this, is that the servlet-api.jar is at the
right place, but somehow it takes a while for tomcat to notice
this.

My only problem is that, taking into account the above behavior, I
have no clue where to look for the possible cause of this.

If somebody could point me in the right direction, it would be
very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Bart

--
	"Share what you know.  Learn what you don't."