tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pieter Temmerman <ptemmerman....@sadiel.es>
Subject Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request after restart
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 07:27:22 GMT
I'm glad you got it solved Sam.
It was an exciting topic to follow.
I haven't been reading the mailinglist for a long time, but there might
be a good chance you got the longest thread in the mailinglist
history :)

Cheers.

Pieter

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 10:31 -0600, Sam Hokin wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > Once you have your test Tomcat set up on the problematic server, try adding this
line to the conf/logging.properties file:

> > org.apache.jasper.level = ALL
> >
> > That will display a *lot* of information about what's going on during JSP compilation.
 One thing in particular printed out during Tomcat initialization is the compiler classpath
for JSPs in each webapp, which might show why the lookups are being done at the root of the
file system.

> OK, done.  I started up my test instance, ran a single request on my test JSP, and shut
it down.  The resulting
> catalina.out is here for your review:
>
> http://ims.net/media/jasper-level-all.txt
>
> Sure enough, / appears in the classpath for the ROOT webapp, right here:
>
> [stuff]:/usr/local/lib/jtds-1.2.2.jar:/:/usr/local/tomcat-2/bin/bootstrap.jar:[other
stuff]

> / is appended after a jar that I have symlinked under $TOMCAT_HOME/lib and before bootstrap.jar.
>
> So, SINCE my company is ims.net and my Java packages start with net.ims; and SINCE I
had autofs running which
> automounted /net; and SINCE / is in the classpath, JDT searched under /net to find core
classes, which incurred a very
> long delay, presumably due to automount.  If autofs is off and /net is simply an empty
directory, the delay is not
> incurred.  My problem is cured by simply turning off autofs.
>
> It seems to me that it's a bug that / is being appended to the classpath, but one that
didn't result in pain until the
> particular circumstance above came into play, clearly a VERY specific scenario.
>
> THANKS, EVERYONE! I think we've solved this riddle! I owe you all beers, or your beverage
of choice!

Pieter Temmerman
email: ptemmerman.ext@sadiel.es
skype: ptemmerman.sadiel