tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brian Millett <>
Subject Re: running tomcat with root user
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:37:39 GMT
On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 19:25 -0800, wrote:
> I have the latest tomcat 6 installed under centos 5.2.  The problem I am having is that
it appears that I have to run tomcat as root user, because the spring app that tomcat starts
needs to write files to other users' home directories.  The tomcat user doesn't have access
to these directories.
> I tried making these users part of a shared group, but to complicate the problem the
users are jailed using jailkit.  So it doesn't appear that jailkit lets me add group write
privileges to the home directories and maintain a working jail.
> Can anyone suggest another alternative?  I am not linux user expert so maybe there is
an obvious solution i am missing?
> thanks

works great, less filling.

Brian Millett - [ Morden (to Londo), "Revelations"]
"The Narns will never be able to prove it was done at your instigation.
 and, based on your promise to take care of it, your government accepts
 your responsibility without question or hesitation. Perfect symmetry.
 I believe that this little demonstration will bring you some very
 interesting propositions."

View raw message