tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: classloaders ?
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:31:50 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: classloaders ?
>
> I would (I guess) first attempt to locate the basic
> webapp classloader class source of what Tomcat uses
> as a generic webapp classloader; then I would either
> extend it, or make my own parallel version and compile
> it into a .class file.

There's another approach, semi-supported by Tomcat, as noted in this thread:
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=119515455807928&w=2

The VirtualWebappLoader supports additional paths beyond WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes;
however, since it's undocumented and Tomcat-specific, I'm a bit hesitant to suggest it for
production environments.

> Then where would I put this .class file so that Tomcat
> notices and uses my classloader for my webapp, rather
> than using its own ?

The custom classloader is specified via a <Loader> element inside your webapp's <Context>
element:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/loader.html

 - Chuck