tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: problems solved restarting tomcat
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:28:25 GMT
> From: Laura Bartolomé [mailto:laura@secways.com]
> Subject: Re: problems solved restarting tomcat
>
> Ok, and the question is: is possible than this error makes Tomcat
> doesn't work and we need to restart it???

Probably not that error directly, but the failure in properly handling the request could have
left locks up, objects lying around, or database connections open that would have been cleaned
up had the request completed normally.  (Any such problems are indicative of poor application
implementation.)

You can try running JConsole against the Tomcat process to see if the heap is exhausted or
threads are in a loop, or to look at where threads are stuck when Tomcat is unresponsive.
 JConsole is located in the JDK bin directory; just start it from a command prompt on the
Windows box where Tomcat is running and select the Tomcat process from the list presented.
 You might want to do this while things are running properly just to get an idea of what normal
operation looks like.

 - Chuck