tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request afterrestart
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 04:35:21 GMT
> From: Sam Hokin [mailto:sam@ims.net]
> Subject: Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet
> request afterrestart

> It looks like we've boiled the problem, at least in this test
> JSP case, down to the classloader wasting 3 seconds per
> try on stat-ing core Java classes in an imaginary location,
> /net/ims/jcms, on the server's filesystem, which actually
> corresponds to a path WITHIN a jar file that I wrote, and
> which doesn't contain any core Java classes.

Some comments on the above:

1) It's not a Tomcat or JVM classloader that's doing the lookup - it's the JDT compiler hunting
for unresolved class references.

2) The Object.class, Throwable.class, etc., core class files are not known to be core until
they *haven't* been found on any imported packages that include a wildcard.  That's why the
lookups are done with a wildcard, and not done with explicit classes.

Once you have your test Tomcat set up on the problematic server, try adding this line to the
conf/logging.properties file:

org.apache.jasper.level = ALL

That will display a *lot* of information about what's going on during JSP compilation.  One
thing in particular printed out during Tomcat initialization is the compiler classpath for
JSPs in each webapp, which might show why the lookups are being done at the root of the file
system.

 - Chuck