tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: ssl connector
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 03:47:45 GMT
> From: epicwinter@hotmail.com [mailto:epicwinter@hotmail.com]
> Subject: RE: ssl connector
>
> So I don't understand the docs where they suggest
> defining connectors with apr and without.

APR is an additional, non-Java Tomcat component that utilizes code from httpd for increased
SSL performance.  It uses OpenSSL, not Java, for the SSL negotiation and encryption, so there's
no keystore file, and the <Connector> configuration is very different from that for
the standard or NIO options.  The drawback of APR is that you typically have to compile it
from source for the specific platform you're running on (some binary downloads are available),
so it's not something for the casual or first-time Tomcat administrator.

The table at the bottom of this page:
gives you a comparison of the three forms of connector; pick just one for your usage.

 - Chuck