tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [OT] of the different methods to get a user-id
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 03:27:12 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: [OT] of the different methods to get a user-id
>
> I don't understand that, either. I suppose this works differently in
> different languages, though:
>
> return i++;
>
> return (i++);

Not any that I'm aware of; the value of the i++ expression is the same, regardless of the
number of parentheses you wrap it in.

> I tried in C and Java and got the same result (both
> return the original value of i), though I would have
> expected something different.

Nope; the parentheses in such a statement control only operator precedence, not anything else.
 Don't confuse parentheses used in an expression with those used for function calls or if/while
statements - they're syntactically different, even if they share the same code point.

> What I also don't understand is why userPrincipal is used directly
> instead of this.getUserPrincipal, which would allow some measure of
> extensibility of the class.

Since the userPrincipal field is protected, not private, the subclass can just use it to store
its Principal object, so I don't see a real problem.

 - Chuck