tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Hello
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:14:53 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Hello
>
> Vista 32-bit -> 32-bit Java JDK or JRE
> Vista 64-bit -> 64-bit Java JDK or JRE

Not necessarily true.  I run both 32- and 64-bit versions of the JVM on my Vista 64 box, because
some browsers only come in 32-bit versions and therefore need the 32-bit plugin to run applets.

> For a 64-bit Vista, we first tried the Service Installer. It installed
> properly, but we could not get it to run.

That depends on the JRE/JDK installed.  To use the tomcat6.exe program that's included with
the .zip and .exe downloads, you must associate it with a 32-bit JVM - even on a 64-bit platform.

> So we removed the 64-bit Service Installer

There is no 64-bit service installer.

> To make it work, we had to download 2 additional files
> (tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe), rename them respectively
> to tomcat6.exe and tomcat6w.exe, and (I think) rerun the
> service.bat script.

What you downloaded was the 64-bit versions, necessary to run Tomcat as a service with a 64-bit
JVM.  It should not be necessary to rerun the service.bat script.

> We downloaded them from here :
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/
> Oh, and there are 2 versions of each of the above files, depending on
> whether your CPU is an Intel-64 or an AMD-64.

Not correct.  Use the AMD64 version, which applies to current 64-bit chips from both AMD and
Intel; the IA64 version is for an older Intel 64-bit architecture which has pretty much been
killed off (just not soon enough for those of us that had to use it).

 - Chuck