tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Hello
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:00:32 GMT
> From: Mehrotra, Anurag [mailto:amehrotra@telebright.com]
> Subject: RE: Hello
>
> If you are using vista 64 bit, do not use the windows installer/exe.

Not true, the installer works fine on my Vista 64 box.  The tomcat6.exe program in the installer
(and also in the .zip download) is set up for a 32-bit JVM, but it doesn't care if the OS
is 32- or 64-bit.

> Instead unzip the tomcat zip file and then create shortcuts
> to startup and shutdown batch file found under ../bin folder.

Definitely a good idea.

> You will also have to install JRE 1.5.0. Tomcat complained
> about the JRE when I tried using the 64 bit JRE 1.6.0.11

Also wrong advice.  I've been running Tomcat on Vista 64 with both 32- and 64-bit 1.6 JVMs
without any problem.  Don't know what you messed up, but Tomcat 6.0 works well with either
1.5 or 1.6 JVMs (but 1.6 is faster).

 - Chuck