tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Weblogic library and Tomcat
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:14:12 GMT
> From: Pieter Temmerman [mailto:ptemmerman.ext@sadiel.es]
> Subject: Re: Weblogic library and Tomcat
>
> But why aren't my classes unloaded when I undeploy a webapp?

Because something at a higher level in the classloader hierarchy is hanging on to a reference
to your webapp's classes (or classloader).  As Mark noted, loggers are infamous for this behavior,
as is improper use of ThreadLocal.

> Isn't Tomcat responsible for unloading my classes
> when I order it to undeploy my webapp?.

Tomcat does clean up what it knows about, but it can't really protect against ill-mannered
code in your webapp or libraries.

Here's a link from the Tomcat FAQ that discusses the issue:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2669

 - Chuck