tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: HelloWorld and NoClassDefFoundError
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:49:06 GMT
> From: Bart Vandewoestyne [mailto:Bart.Vandewoestyne@telenet.be]
> Subject: HelloWorld and NoClassDefFoundError

> I get
>   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

Indicative of a broken Tomcat installation, which is pretty typical with these 3rd-party repackaged
versions.  I strongly suggest you throw away that junk and install a real Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org;
this mailing list is littered with problem reports from attempted use of non-standard Tomcat
installations.  If you insist on using the package from Debian, you'll need to consult whatever
Debian support mechanisms there are.

> I expected tomcat to have servlet-api.jar
> available in its classpath somehow

A real Tomcat installation does not have this problem.

> 1) Is it necessary to copy servlet-api.jar to the
> WEB-INF/lib directory of every web application that
> i have?

Not only is it not necessary, it is not allowed.

 - Chuck