tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Simple Tomcat 6, servlet tutorial. First draft for comment
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:48:38 GMT
> From: Dave Pawson [mailto:dave.pawson@gmail.com]
> Subject: Simple Tomcat 6, servlet tutorial. First draft for comment
>
> http://www.dpawson.co.uk/tomcat

Looks pretty good.  Some nits to pick:

Under "Compile the restlet example code", you include catalina.jar and tomcat-juli.jar; neither
of these should be necessary to compile a servlet.  If they are necessary, there's something
wrong with the servlet, since it's making use of Tomcat internals.

The directory structure created in "Tell Tomcat about our servlet" appears in the section
above; looks like something's out of order or at least misplaced here.

I would not include the comment about valves within the <Context> element; it will only
provoke questions and confusion from the uninitiated.

Under "Add the jars", you use the phrase "unpack the following jars"; that could be construed
as taking those jars apart to get the individual class files.  Perhaps something like "extract
the following jars from the zip file:" would be clearer.

 - Chuck