tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: TC6 ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/web.xml Is this the place to constrain the mime type?
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:03:37 GMT
> From: Dave Pawson [mailto:dave.pawson@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: TC6 ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/web.xml Is this the
> place to constrain the mime type?
>
> Unless the client requests application/xml I want to refuse the
> request.

I don't think you quite appreciate the situation yet.  An HTTP client does not *request* any
particular mime type; the client *may* specify the mime types it would like to accept in response,
but the server is pretty much allowed to return whatever it wants (or a 406, at the server's
discretion).  If the client doesn't like a response type of application/xml, too bad for the
client.

 - Chuck