tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: servlet use. TC6, FC10
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:02:54 GMT
> From: Dave Pawson [mailto:dave.pawson@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: servlet use. TC6, FC10
>
> From the docs "Context elements may be explicitly defined:
> .... <snip/>
>     * in individual files (with a ".xml" extension) in the
> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ directory."
>
> Which I interpret that to have my servlet deployed (found?) I need to
> set up an XML file as per that web page at
> {}/conf/????/marge/atom.xml

No.  First off, unless you have something specific to define for your webapp (e.g., a <Resource>
or <Realm>, you don't need a <Context> element.  If you do need a <Context>,
it is normally placed inside the webapp in META-INF/context.xml.  If you wish to override
the contecnt of that location, or you want to deploy the webapp somewhere outside of the normal
<Host> appBase directory, then you place your <Context> element in conf/[engine]/[host]/[appName].xml.

The [engine] name is whatever it's configured to be in server.xml; the default is Catalina
(case sensitive), and there's almost never a reason to change it.  The [host] name is NOT
the DNS name, but rather the name of the associated <Host> element that you want your
webapp to run under.  By default, this is localhost - but that is not associated with the
hosts file localhost.

 - Chuck