tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Setting a Different context path to webapp name
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:50:15 GMT
> From: James Hoare [mailto:James.Hoare@net-a-porter.com]
> Subject: Setting a Different context path to webapp name
>
> I have a webapp called myApp.war but I would like to
> set this to a different url path than the webapp name.

The easiest thing to do is just rename the .war file, but if you insist on doing things the
hard way:

1) Do not put the .war file in the <Host> appBase directory - keep it somewhere else.

2) Create a file named newurlname.xml in conf/Catalina/[host] containing a <Context>
element.

3) Set the docBase attribute of the above <Context> element to point to the *absolute*
path to the .war file.

> I've seen in the docs that you can specify an xml file under
> Catalina_Home/Catalina/localhost/newurlname.xml.

What docs were those?  They left out a critical component of the path (at least for a real
Tomcat installation).

> in my xml file I just have a <Context></Context> definition

An empty <Context> element is never needed.

 - Chuck