tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: tomcat only query localhost database
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:51:01 GMT
> From: Dave Pawson [mailto:dave.pawson@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: tomcat only query localhost database
>
> What are(or where can I find them) the rules on loading an app into
> localhost | webapps or ROOT?

In the Tomcat docs:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/index.html

Note that you have mixed up three different concepts in the above question: host, appBase,
and a specific webapp.  A <Host> (localhost) specifies a domain name that Tomcat should
be serving.  The appBase attribute (webapps) of the <Host> element specifies the default
deployment directory for that <Host>'s webapps.  ROOT is the name of the default webapp
for a given <Host>.

> the O'Reilly Tomcat book talks about using localhost where in 5.x I
> used to use webapps directory.

Read the Tomcat docs first; I haven't read the O'Reilly book, so I can't comment on its veracity,
but I seriously doubt that it has confused such basic concepts.

 - Chuck