tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: package javax.servlet does not exist import javax.servlet.* ;
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 14:41:24 GMT
> From: Shaolin [mailto:shaolinfinest@gmail.com]
> Subject: package javax.servlet does not exist import javax.servlet.* ;
>
> The servlet jars cannot be found. I checked the tomcat lib
> dir and it was present and it looks like its something to
> do with the classpath.

1) Tell us which version of Tomcat, what JVM/JRE you're using, and what specific OS, including
32- or 64-bit.

2) NEVER, never, never set the CLASSPATH environment variable for Tomcat.

3) Make sure you do not have a copy of servlet-api.jar anywhere in Tomcat's classloader hierarchy,
other than Tomcat's lib directory.  (Many inexperienced users erroneously put that jar in
a webapps's WEB-INF/lib directory.)

4) Make sure j2ee.jar is not anywhere Tomcat or the JVM might stumble into it.

 - Chuck