tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Apache Tomcat 6.0 loads blank page
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 05:25:24 GMT
> From: zia mohades [mailto:zia.simab@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Apache Tomcat 6.0 loads blank page
>
> perfect! thank you martin, I have just created a JSP file,
> index.jsp and copied the content of index.html into it. and
> then made this  modification as you said:

None of which you should have to do.  A real Tomcat download (from tomcat.apache.org) includes
a default web.xml in Tomcat's conf directory that already contains the following:

    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

It sounds like yours doesn't have that, so I would strongly suggest removing the Ubuntu version
of Tomcat and installing a real one from the above web site.  We've had innumerable strange
problems with 3rd-party repackaged versions of Tomcat that do not occur with the real one.

 - Chuck