tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <>
Subject Re: Execution of filter before request listener
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 02:55:50 GMT

"Andrew Feller" <> wrote in message
> Tomcat is executing a Filter before the registered ServletRequestListener
> Tomcat 6.0.18, Windows Vista, JDK 1.6.0_10
> We have a filter setup to intercept forwards. When an unauthenticated user
> comes in, Tomcat forwards them to our login servlet. The filter intercepts
> this forward, however the request listener has not been executed.
> It seems like the ServletRequestListener should have been executed prior
> the filter.  Is this a bug or part of the specification?

It is a bit of a grey area in the spec, but IMHO it is a bug.  When
forwarding to the login-page, Tomcat bypasses normal request processing
(including calling ServletRequestListeners).  I'd go ahead and file a bug
report for it.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message