tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Mast" <jhmast.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can Tomcat be used to host socket servers?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:07:55 GMT
Thanks for cogent reply, Chuck :)

By socket servers, I mean the existing programs are bound to a particular
port number and just sit there waiting for requests.  The port numbers are
arbitrary, and I'm not knowledgeable enough of networking to know whether
they use HTTP or not.

I'll probably just write stand alone Java sockets servers and simply bounce
incoming requests over to a servlet I'll develop to do the "heavy liffting".

The reason I would have liked Tomcat to handle the whole shebang is that now
I'll have to adjust each system that hosts these sockets to automatically
invoke them when they restart.  Kinda tedious.

Thanks again