tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <rc4...@googlemail.com>
Subject Tomcat 6 and log4j
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:46:57 GMT
Dear all,

actually I like Tomcat. I like the Apache Group. Most docs are quite useful.

However, things are changing slightly since I'm trying to implement
log4j with Tomcat 6.

I've got it nicely running on my boxes running Tomcat 5.5, btw.

I started taking a look at the docs at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html. Well, I don't
care about typos and such, but I'm caring about docs which are
understandable and at least have a working example.

I stumbled across the following statements:

========= [ snip ] ==============

# Build the commons-logging additional component using the extras.xml
Ant build script which is part of the Tomcat source bundle.
# Replace $CATALINA_HOME/bin/tomcat-juli.jar with output/extras/tomcat-juli.jar.

========= [ snap ] ==============

WTF?? To my understanding, it looked as if there's no
"comons.logging...." in the directory, but it got some new name
("tomcat-juli.jar").

Ok, since sometimes I try to be a nice guy, I usually stick to the
docs. So I downloaded the Tomcat 6 source, started the build-script
"extras.xml", which was about to build "tomcat-juli.jar". But what's
that? It  tries to download commons-logging?!?!

Needles to say that the ant-build-job didn''t work since I'm behind a
firewall and the download fails.

So before I start to analyze that build-script in detail:

Ain't it just enough to copy "commons-logging-1.1.jar" do
${CATALINA_HOME}/lib, and that's it?

And one suggestion:

Why make it so difficult and have the user to do the build? Why not
put the appropriate jars for download on the Tomcat website? Or did I
miss them?

Any suggestions appreciated...

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2