tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Strauß <t.stra...@srs-management.de>
Subject Tomcat5w version 2.0.4 for 64 bits reads settings from WOW6432 registry hive!
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:10:43 GMT
Hi,

I just wanted to update the Tomcat5w.exe and tomcat5.exe on our Windows 2003 production system.

I was running Tomcat5.exe version 2.0.3 and had unpredictable but regularly every few days
"unexpectedly died, it did this ... times" messages in the event-log without any trace in
any other logfile. So I checked the Tomcat subversion http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/amd64/
and downloaded the two exe-files. The version was counting up 2.0.4, so I decided to give
it a try together with upgrading to JVM 1.5.0_17.

Unfortunately, the tomcat5w.exe 2.0.4 reads its settings from another registry hive than the
2.0.3 version. The 2.0.3 version reads the registry for 64bit native binaries (Software/apache../procrun2.0/<servicename>),
 the 2.0.4 version reads the 32-bit emulation registry (path ...Software/WOW6432.../Apache.../procrun2.0/<servicename>).

I have checked using Task-Manager and the running version of tomcat5w.exe is actually 64bit
(2.0.3 as well as 2.0.4). So something must be wrong here - anyone else realized this strange
behavior?

I tried to find the sourcecode for the version 2.0.4, but it actually really seems to be hidden
quite well. I checked the commons-daemon repository, but I could not match version numbers
(procrun is version 1.0.1, no trace of 2.0.4 found). I checked some resource files in the
1.0.1 repository and found a version number definition of 2.1.0 ... argh - gave up.

WELL, any help would be appreciated, especially on the root cause for my update-wish, the
unexpectedly dying tomcat/procrun-service.

With best regards,
Thomas Strauß

SRS PaperDynamix®
DIGITAL SCHON AUF DEM PAPIER

SRS-Management GmbH
Berliner Ring 93
64625 Bensheim
T +49 6251 85 424 - 20
F +49 6251 85 424 - 14
M +49 174 2110912

www.srs-management.de<http://www.srs-management.de>
www.srs-paperdynamix.de<http://www.srs-paperdynamix.de>

HRB 25262 AG Darmstadt
Geschäftsführer: Detlev Homilius, Thomas Strauß