tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Al Blake">
Subject Problems with disableproxyCache="false"
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2009 02:00:32 GMT
We are running a java based application served on SSL by Tomcat 5.
Everything is working fine *except* for users who access the application
using IE as their browser. They encounter the well-known *bug* in IE
which causes downloads to fail over SSL if the server sends a no-cache
in the header. As many of our clients will use IE we have to disable
I have found numerous posts that indicate that this is possible by using
the disableproxycaching="false" directive in the server.xml file.
So this is what I am trying to do....problem is it doenst work.
When I include the code:

In server.xml tomcat hangs on startup. Comment the line out and
everything is fine and the application works - but the IE users cant use
the app(!).
I am *not* a Tomcat configuration expert so I am sure the problem is
with my syntax, or understanding of where the code should sit in the
server.xml file, or the interaction between the context directives that
are already there. I have been fighting this for several days now and
have gone through all the howtoos I can find - but they all show
snippets of code, rather than the directive withint he context of a
complete server.xml.

Anyway - if Ianyone can point out where I am going wrong that would be
great. My server.xml is below. Hope this isnt too long for the list.

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN_NOW">
  <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8080"
               maxThreads="500" connectionTimeout="60000"
               redirectPort="443" useBodyEncodingForURI="true" />

 <Connector port="443"
                maxThreads="150" connectionTimeout="60000"
                scheme="https" secure = "true" SSLEnabled="true"
                clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

         <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
                            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log."

<!-- disable the sending of no-cache in the headers so that IE can
download the java applet over SSL
When this is enabled tomcat hangs on startup.......why?

        <Context path="/lib" docBase="../../lib"/>
        <Context path="/plugins" docBase="../../plugins"/>
        <Context path="/beans" docBase="../../beans"/>
        <Context path="/lafs" docBase="../../lafs"/>