tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pieter Temmerman" <ptemmerman....@sadiel.es>
Subject RE: Thread dump analysis
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:25:55 GMT
Hi Chuck

>> Could it be that Tomcat ran out of connectors (maxThreads
>> was hit) and after a while they get closed by the timeout?

>Depends on how your DB connector pool is configured.

I was actually referring to the limit of http connections, set by maxThreads.

>> This could be a plausible explanation, although, the weird thing still
>> is why this coincides with the CPU topping 100%.

>Could the infinite loop that these threads sometime get into include acquisition of a
DB connection at some point inside the >loop?  If your DBC pool is set to discard unreturned
connections after some period of time, it will acquire more and those will >become available
for new requests.

Yes, the webservice connects at one point to a DB. Although, from the thread it seems that
it's looping when reading an XML document.

Instead of the Tomcat DB pool, the developers implemented CP30. They said that was better.
I don't know whether it will change anything, but it's definitely worth the try.

I'll keep digging...

Thanks!